. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Saturday, October 11, 2003

Auf Wiedersehen, Cobber

We have yet another report from the egg-heads knocking our nation's tried and true business model of "digging it up or chopping it down and then selling it." ("Medical Research Brings Rich Returns, Says Report", The Age, 10/10). When will the brainiacs realise that, intellectually, we're not top-shelf and we should continue our focus on what really matters: sport. Modest and decreasing margins on selling bits of Australia overseas has made us - pound for pound - one of the world's great sporting nations. This "knowledge economy" fad is just a distraction.

Remember, these are the same boffins banging on about the "brain-drain". (Personally, once I've finished my PhD, well, let's just say Wednesday nights sees me down at the CAE learning German.) Don't worry about it! It's not like any brain-drain's going to hamper the international selectors' choices, is it?
Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home