. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Give Me The Girl Until She's Seven ...

I suppose we can't blame Bettina Liano, Myer and Mattel for pushing Barbie fashion onto five year-old girls: they're simply amoral businesses with a buck to make for shareholders. But the mothers of those little girls on the catwalk need to have a good look at themselves and ask whether or not infecting their kids with their own shallowconsumerist values constitutes emotional child abuse.

While Loyola famously said "Give me the boy until he's seven, and I'll show you the man." Liano says "Give me the girl ..."

Vent!         


3 Comments:

<    >
Blogger Greg vented ...

Been getting a lot of hits lately form people searching for Bettina Liano and Barbie, presumably from brand-conscious mothers looking to dress up their daughters like junior trophy wives.

There's clearly nothing I can write that will dissuade of your creepy notions.

But I have two words for where you're heading with your disturbing ethos of acting out your consumerist fantasies through your daughter:

JonBenet Ramsay.

Think about that, sickos, before polluting your kids with your warped values.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:11:00 am  
<    >
Anonymous Anonymous vented ...

Hi Greg, have you got a link to some info on this Barbie thing?

Monday, October 17, 2005 12:09:00 pm  
<    >
Blogger Greg vented ...

Sure - here's an article from The Age and a press release from the PR flaks.

And of course, check the disturbing photo series from Sonic Photos.

If, like me, you're horrified by the idea of preening, pouting pre-pubescent girls being sexploited on the Altar of Croesus by hyper-competitive stage mothers, you'll understand why I juxtapose this with the sad case of JonBenet Ramsay.

Monday, October 17, 2005 1:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home