. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Perspectives on Singapore's Hanging

With a week past since Singapore's execution of Van Nguyen, I'd like to clear the air about some remarks I made to His Excellency, High Commissioner Joseph Koh, in the heat of the moment. Just because Singaporeans understand citizenship differently to people in democracies doesn't mean they don't value it. It's probably just a coincidence that founder Lee Kuan Yew's son was made PM-for-life (after his dad's 30-year rule) while his other children control public life. For all I know, Singaporeans enjoy the clarity that comes with having just two opposition party members in their Parliament. And the government may well employ a light touch as sole media proprietor, only stepping in to prevent confusing ideas about civil liberties spreading. So I was unfair to suggest that Singaporeans' lack of revulsion at the State killing citizens stems from ingrained obedience to one-family rule.

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home