. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Schools To Duke It Out

As an outsider to Melbourne's curious private school system, I must confess to a giddy rush of Schadenfreude ("shameful joy") upon hearing of the looming stoush between Scotch College and St Kevin's College over CityLink's expansion (The Age, 18/5/05). Two of Melbourne's most prestigious schools, sectarian differences, powerful Old Boys, a zero-sum game, history repeating ... this has it all.

My only hope is that the matter is not resolved amicably over a glass of port in a walnut-lined backroom on Collins St. Fortunately, reported comments suggest the prospect of the two principals duking it out behind the boat sheds in the time-honoured fashion - with their respective Parents' Committees standing in a circle clapping them on - is tantalisingly close. Game on!

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home