. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Religious Instruction in Schools

Phil Bell (Letters, The Age, 1/6/2006) argues that we shouldn't get too worked up about religious instruction since the values taught are about being "responsible, caring and positive contributors to our society". Teachers "provide a variety of moral stances" and besides, students will "construct their own meaning and moral attitudes" anyway.

While this flavour of tame religious instruction may be found in some of the older establishment schools, it is sadly in the minority. The truth is that religious fundamentalism - whether Christian, Muslim or Jewish - is on the rise and every single one of these principles is explicitly rejected or under attack.

So I trust I can count on the support of Phil Bell (and others from his camp) when I call upon the government to effectively monitor - and crack down on where needed - the enforced, uncritical indoctrination of uncaring and negative attitudes, presented without alternative viewpoints.

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home