. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Friday, August 25, 2006

The ACCC and Compulsory Competition

Just as well Graeme Samuel and the ACCC are looking out for my interests by blocking the roll out of a fibre-optic network. Telstra's refusal to build it is nothing more than a unreasonable dummy-spit. What business could be unhappy about a couple of bureaucrats with a spreadsheet setting prices for competitor access to its investment? Without the ACCC's steely intervention, Telstra could have tricked me into handing over monopoly rents for a high-speed internet connection!

In this same spirit of competition regulation, I look forward to picking up a cost-controlled Subway sandwich from McDonalds' drive-through network, The Bulletin in next weekend's Age delivery (at government-set prices) and a DVD from the regulator-mandated "Blockbuster Booth" at the back of my local Video-Ezy.

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home