. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Expensive Pork

Mr. Howard has conceeded that his new health policy won't result in additional private health insurance members. Rather, it's about "rewarding" existing members. People aren't rewarded out of the blue for past behaviour. It just doesn't make sense. So the only future behaviour this reward could influence is voting.

For a policy that will cost taxpayers in excess of $1 billion over the term of the next Parliament, Michelle Grattan (25/8) estimates it may benefit just a few thousand voters. I hope that the few over-65 swinging voters in marginal seats with private health insurance appreciate that the Government has valued their vote at up to half a million dollars.

Is this the most expensive per capita pork-barrelling exercise Australia has ever seen?
Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home