. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Ethnic Complexity

Thanks for the lesson in European ethnic insecurity, Sasa Tajcevski (Letters, 25/1), but please: but it behind you.

Endless hand-wringing about who is Hungarian, or a Tartar or "former Yugoslavian" something-or-other is impenetrable, boring and ultimately futile.

After traipsing around those parts of Europe, I've realised that pretty much every village has belonged to a range of ethnic groups - disturbingly with some form of still-simmering claim - after a thousand years of war and politics.

Europeans expect their local history to be universally understood the way Americans expect everyone to understand their geography. In a global world, that looks very petty.
Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home