. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Friday, September 02, 2005

An American Tragedy

The gap between America's rich and poor is accelerating (The Age, 1/9/2005), partly due to massive tax cuts for the rich and a minimum wage below the poverty line. Now we read that many of the poor in hurricane-affected areas were simply left behind to fend for themselves. US media reported whites as "finding" food in shops, while blacks were "looting". Police were diverted from search-and-rescue operations to protecting property. In the face of such institutional prejudice and an "every man for himself" ethos, I'm not surprised that there is widespread breakdown in law and order and civil society.

Is this the future for Australia that the Liberals envisage?

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home