. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fresh Approach, But Still Blaming Men

I welcome Sex Discrimination Commissioner Pru Goward's fresh look at some of the issues that plague society (The Age, 13/10/05). When women engage in personally destructive behaviour such as starving themselves, choosing bad partners, wasting time and money on appearances or putting career ahead of family, we understand this to be the fault of society (read: men).

But when men engage in personally destructive behaviours such as risk-taking, health neglect or emotional withdrawal, it's not down to society: apparently it's men's innate "masculinity" at fault. So regardless of the social ill, it's men and masculinity to blame!

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home