. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Liberty and Taboos

David Irving's Austrian jail sentence has justified the Iranian newspaper's disgusting retaliatory competition. Sadly, the free-speech arguments propping up the publishing of those inflammatory Danish cartoons cannot bear the weight of Europe's biggest taboo: denying the reality of the Holocaust. I'm appalled that it's taken a hateful Iranian newspaper to show up the double standards of European law.

This paves the way for anti-Semites to claim that it's mere coincidence that Iran's sworn enemy, the Jews, had to be offended in order to point out this hypocrisy. The Iranians can now claim with a straight face that had the cartoons been published in Texas they would have called for taboo-busting material mocking the faked Moon landings!

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home