. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Tax Reform: Loopholes THEN Cuts

There's one common thread in all this zeal for tax reform. Whether it's Malcolm Turnbull on the Right, or Bill Shorten on the other Right, reformers argue for paying for tax cuts by closing the loopholes, lurks and dodges available to the super-rich. I'm worried that politicians may - even inadvertently - over-estimate their effectiveness in increasing compliance and reducing avoidance. There's a real risk we'll just end up with more tax cuts for the rich. Let's close these loopholes first, ascertain how much has been saved and then make the cuts that we can afford.

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home