. = V E N T = .
Letters to the Editor


From time to time, a commentary on the world will bubble up inside of me to the extent that I'm forced to write a letter to my local, metropolitan, daily newspaper, The Age. This is where I blow of some steam. Feel like venting too? Add your own comment or visit my homepage.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Just The Facts, Ma'am

Of course history requires interpretation! When astronomers are debating (and voting on) a bald fact like the number of planets in the solar system (The Age, 17/8/2007), surely we can handle subjectivity around supposed facts like "Australia was discovered in 1770" or "Australia fought in Vietnam to stop communism".

I doubt that the educated, conservative politicians who push the idea of a "neutral" view of our past are really that naive. More likely, they are seeking political advantage by exploiting suspicion of teachers.

Vent!         


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home